havent given up on | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
jerseys
jerseys Mar 2
NEW YORK -- A streak or two of celebration whipped cream was still stuck in Brandon Nimmos hairline as he peeled off his baseball socks in the clubhouse Thursday night. Aaron Brooks Jersey .Plenty of time to clean up, the Mets rookie figured. For now, he just wanted to hang onto this feeling.Yoenis Cespedes socked a colossal home run , Jeurys Familia pitched out of a huge jam in the ninth inning and Nimmo keyed a three-run rally in the seventh that sent New York past the Chicago Cubs 4-3 in their first meeting since last years NL Championship Series.Im just ecstatic, Nimmo said after his first big league home game. Im just overjoyed and so thankful right now.Chicago put runners on second and third with no outs against Familia, who got two strikeouts and a bases-loaded popup for his 27th save, most in the majors.He screamed and pumped his arms repeatedly after Javier Baez popped up to end it.I think our last three at-bats were a little bit too anxious, said Kris Bryant, who fanned for the first out in the ninth. But hes supposed to do that. Thats why hes the closer on their team.Baezs throwing error at second base allowed Nimmo to score the go-ahead run, and the Mets overcame a 3-0 deficit to stop their four-game slide.New York, which swept Chicago last October to reach the World Series, had lost nine straight regular-season games to the Cubs dating to August 2014.We made one mistake on defense, but otherwise it was a pretty good game of baseball, Chicago manager Joe Maddon said.Bryant hit a two-run homer for the major league-best Cubs. Baez added a solo shot off rookie Steven Matz before a scuffling Mets lineup finally pushed back in the opener of a four-game series between banged-up teams.Cespedes launched a solo drive off John Lackey in the sixth that soared into the third deck in left field, two or three rows deep. The ball came off the bat at 110 mph and would have traveled 441 feet unimpeded, according to MLBs Statcast. ESPN Stats & Info had it at 466 feet.Either way, it was thought to be the first home run to reach the third deck at Citi Field, which opened in 2009.Thats not unfamiliar territory to Cespedes, though. He sent several shots up there three years ago -- while winning the All-Star Home Run Derby.I think it woke us. I really do, Mets manager Terry Collins said. He hadnt hit one in a while and that was a big one. I really think that got the guys energized.Travis dArnaud singled with one out in the seventh, chasing Lackey. Joel Peralta (0-1) walked slumping pinch-hitter Alejandro De Aza before Nimmo, starting for injured outfielder Curtis Granderson, singled on the ninth pitch of a gritty at-bat for his first career RBI.Thats a big league at-bat for the kid, teammate Neil Walker said. Those are the at-bats that give you confidence, especially as a young guy. So I cant say enough about how he grinded through that and how big a hit that was.The throw to third allowed Nimmo to reach second, and the Mets had two runners in scoring position. With the Cubs playing their infield in, Walker hit an RBI chopper toward the middle against reliever Pedro Strop.Figuring he had no play at the plate, Baez threw to third in an attempt to get Nimmo. But the wide throw ticked off Bryants glove and rolled into foul territory, letting Nimmo cross the plate with a big smile on his face.He was definitely a sparkplug for us today, Walker said. This is how we have to grind right now.Erik Goeddel (1-0) struck out two in 1 2/3 hitless innings for the win.Getting beats one thing. When you feel like you kind of gave one away, let one go, thats a different kind of loss, Lackey said.TRAINERS ROOMCubs: RF Jason Heyward was rested against the left-hander with Chicago in the middle of playing 24 straight days. He has a little soreness on his left side but certainly could have started, Maddon said. Heyward pinch-hit in the eighth and shattered his bat on a weak grounder back to the mound against lefty Jerry Blevins, stranding two runners.Mets: Granderson was out of the lineup again after an MRI revealed a mild strain of his right calf, general manager Sandy Alderson said. Granderson was unavailable off the bench and is expected to miss at least a couple of games. A reinforcement could arrive Friday in Gold Glove outfielder Juan Lagares (sprained left thumb), nearly ready to come off the 15-day DL. Lagares played his third rehab game with Double-A Binghamton on Thursday night.UP NEXTCubs RHP Jason Hammel (7-4, 2.58 ERA) starts Friday night against RHP Jacob deGrom (3-4, 2.67), who won Game 3 of the NLCS last year at Wrigley Field. The 2015 All-Star is 0-4 in 10 starts since beating San Francisco on April 30. Chicago has lost Hammels last four outings after going 9-2 in his first 11. Mario Edwards Jr. Jersey . The visitors took a deserved lead in the 16th minute with midfielder Yohan Cabaye curling the ball beyond Adrian from inside the penalty area. Justin Hardee Jersey . Jeff Green scored 13 points and Kris Humphries 12 for the Celtics, who nearly blew an 18-point, second-half lead. Sullingers 20-20 was the first by a Celtics player since Kevin Garnetts first game in Boston in 2007. Garnett was dealt -- along with Paul Pierce -- to Brooklyn during the off-season. http:///...sey-large-1252e.html . He said Tuesday thats a big reason why he is now the new coach of the Tennessee Titans. Whisenhunt said he hit it off quickly with Ruston Webster when interviewing for the job Friday night. NEW YORK -- With his staff pursuing yet another investigation into performance-enhancing drugs, Commissioner Bud Selig defended baseballs drug-testing program on the eve of the All-Star game and insisted "this sport is cleaner than its ever been." Selig declined to detail timing for decisions in the probe of the closed anti-aging clinic Biogenesis, accused of distributing performing-enhancing drugs. MLB could attempt to discipline former MVPs Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun along with other players. Baseball began drug testing for the 2003 season, added penalties the following year, banned amphetamines in 2006 and started HGH blood testing last year. Critics said baseball didnt move quickly enough. "People say, Well, you were slow to react. We were not slow to react," Selig said Monday. "In fact, I heard that this morning, and it aggravated me all over again." There were eight violations of the major league drug program last year, and All-Star game MVP Melky Cabrera was among those who served a 50-game suspension following a positive PEDs test. There have been no suspensions in the big leagues this year. During a question-and-answer session arranged by Politico, a question was sent by Will, identified as an 8-year-old in Los Angeles. He asked: "How old will I be when ... you can say that there are no more cheaters in baseball, not one?" "Will, this is what I would say to you," Selig responded. "I used to object way back when, when people would talk about steroids. Theyre not a baseball problem or a football problem or a basketball problem. Theyre a societal problem." Selig, who turns 79 on July 30, also denied his willingness to combat steroids has increased during his time in office, which started in 1992. "Some people say now that Im over-vigilant because Im worried about my legacy," he said. "Thats nonsense. Thats the silliest thing Ive ever heard. This is in the best interests of baseball. I was brought up to understand that you are to do whats in the best interest of this sport no matter what, even if its painful, and were going to do that." He maintained the majority of players object to being tainted as playing in whats referred to as the Steroids Era. "Most players on their team didnt do anytthing. Carl Nicks Jersey. They were as clean as could be," he said. "So the Steroid Era in short to some people implies, well everybody did it. Thats wrong, and its unfair." According to Selig, Major League Baseballs decision to hire former U.S. Secret Service director Mark Sullivan to assist in its Biogenesis probe was evidence of baseballs effort to ensure there are "no stones unturned." "We have many groups, consulting groups that are working on this whole investigation," he said. Selig has said repeatedly he intends to retire, only to change his mind. His current term runs through December 2014, and he has made no effort to start planning for a successor. "Thats a subject that Im going to put off for a while. Right now we havent gotten into specifics," he said. On other subjects, Selig: --said hes never sent an email. "And I never will. ... Im illiterate when it comes to that, and proud of it. ... I did get an iPhone, so Ive made some slight progress." --is concerned about spending on players, whose average salary rose 6 per cent to $3.65 million on opening day, the steepest rise since 2008. Baseballs revenue is projected to reach $8 billion this year, and Selig wants clubs to spend less than half on players. "Weve made some new television deals and our clubs got a little excited, and so we may go over 50 per cent, and thats dangerous. I think we have to work on more mechanisms." --is deferring action on the Oakland Athletics preference to build a ballpark in San Jose until the city of San Joses antitrust suit against MLB moves forward. San Jose is in the territory of San Francisco Giants. "We are defending ourselves. So before I make any decisions, well see what happens to that. I feel pretty good." --is concerned with Tampa Bay and Miami, which have the lowest attendance averages in the major leagues. "I certainly havent given up on Florida. The demographics are too good," he said. As for Tampa, "We have a stadium problem there. Theres no question about it." And for Miami, "Weve had some things happen that need to be corrected." --Asked what song he would use to for his introduction while walking to home plate for an at-bat: "Bridge over Troubled Water." ' ' '